San Antonio couples want
that desire burns bright,
In the 40s- 50s Niagara Falls was Honeymoon Central.
In the 60s-70s it was all about Hawaii and Las Vegas.
In the 80s it was Grand Cayman, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen. In the 90s the Bahamas did the trick.
In the new millennium, however, today's couples are more sophisticated and a bit more world-travel-savvy. They are more likely to be on a beach in Thailand or hanging out in Bali or Bora Bora. Making out in artsy cafes in Prague. Snorkeling in Nicaragua. Making love in Morocco. Sure, this kind of couple has just spent a mint on a wedding, but they still don't mind dropping big bucks at fine hotels in the most romantic traditional places in Europe: London, Paris, Venice, Rome.
Of course not everyone can afford to go abroad, and some don't need high thread-count sheets and all that fru-fru stuff. Adventuresome travelers tend to like something different, more exciting, weird and wonderful, even, and places that are more private/secluded. They don't mind roughing it, but they aren't opposed to a nice bed either. They're willing to try something new. Raft trips into the Grand Canyon. Houseboats on a lake.
Then there are the rest of us--people who don't have the combined salaries of a San Antonio Spur and a Desperate Housewife, like Tony and Eva--regular Joes who can't afford more than a weekend getaway, just a couple hours from SA, or a pina colada-package deal at a Mexican beach resort. But, hey, we deserve a fab honeymoon too!
So for this lucky 7/7/7 segment for SA Living, we've come up with seven ideas for a great honeymoon. Here are TODAY'S GROOM magazine's top honeymoon picks, from the most expensive and exciting to the most simple and sublime ...
Expensive but Mind-Blowingly Wonderful:
- Venice - Hotel Cipriani http://www.hotelcipriani.com/
- London - Capital Hotel http://www.capital-london.net
Exciting/Unusual - Unforgettable
- Houseboat Honeymoons - Antelope Point at Lake Powell, Arizona http://www.antelopepointlakepowell.com/, and Cumberland Lake in southern Kentucky - Check out Burnside Marina
680 West Lakeshore Drive, Burnside, KY 42519
Phone: 606/561-4223 Burnside, KY 42519
Phone: 606/561-4223. Find luxury houseboat rentals through Waterways Adventures http://www.waterwaysadventures.com/
- Ice Hotel - Quebec http://www.icehotel-canada.com/
- Southwest - New Mexico & Colorado - Rancho de San Juan www.ranchodesanjuan.com,
- El Monte Sagrado. www.elmontesagrado.com
Beaver Creek Lodge www.beavercreeklodge.net,
- Taos Ski Valley http://www.skitaos.com/
- New Orleans - Royal Sonesta www.sonesta.com,
- Windsor Court www.windsorcourthotel.com
- Sonait House www.soniathouse.com
- Mexico - Laredo (Hotel La Posada - http://www.laposadahotel.com/) to Manzanillo - El Dorado Seaside Suites Resort